Monday, August 5, 2019

Browser Construction

I'm starting to make a push now to actually get a browser foundation started.  My current issue is .net frameworks.   My common libraries, and gRPC schema libraries are all built in .NET Standard, but to my knowledge now, there are no such versions of ClearScript, which I'm relying on for my V8 embedding. 

So, experimenting, I set the browser compatibility to .NET Standard 2.0, the thing starts up (after doing lots up updates to unity and the packages), with ClearScript installed with NuGet--even though it's a .NET 4.5 assembly--and I'm not yet instantiating the thing or doing anything with the V8 engine.   That's probably next.  Plan is to make a nice generic interface which the libraries can call to get attached to the V8 (which should be done rather formally to assure security and robustness -- and lets me change out the V8 module as needed).

Though, I've been thinking again.  That's the trouble with not hitting "publish".   I was looking at how the Chrome browser talks to itself across it's different processes...  It does it via their own IPC via named-pipes.  I was wondering how easy this would be with gRPC.  Maybe I can just have my own C# executable running there communicating this way.  It would help with scaleout really well.  Anyway, continuing experiments building a browser foundation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts, Some Progress

 Lots of work at work, so not as much time for projects. Smattering of thoughts:   Godot doesn't really seem ready for prime-time with c...