Friday, April 26, 2019

On Meshes

Since most of the life of an emissary is to push reactive changes from the server into the manifestation of the Entity, which is mostly simply a group of meshes, I wanted to make sure there was a robust API for doing mesh manipulation -- somewhat beyond the functionality of Unity itself -- I'm looking hard at G3Sharp.  Which seems like an awesome library, and it's Unity compatible.

I need mesh alteration, composition and eventually mesh additive and subtraction operations.   So, some of this API will get wrapped and exported into the 3DOM APIs.   Also, you can have mesh files in your emissary payload (in several formats, including STL, OBJ), which can get loaded.

This is also part of the tooling projects I'm contemplating, which I'm calling the Wood-Shop tool.   I'm not much of a 3d artist, but I can craft pretty fancy 3d stuff in the real world, so I'm trying for a metaphor that's closer to working with wood and metal tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Thoughts, Some Progress

 Lots of work at work, so not as much time for projects. Smattering of thoughts:   Godot doesn't really seem ready for prime-time with c...